TIME is looking for the best young photographers of 2011
Congratulations to winner Andrea Morales and runners up Christian Hansen and Brad Vest. Winners announcement here.
This fall, TIME invites talented student photographers dedicated to honing their craft, whether it be photojournalism, portraiture, still life, conceptual or fine art, to submit a portfolio of at least 10 but no more than 20 photos for review by our editors. All applicants must be currently enrolled students or members of the class of 2011.
Photographed for TIME from top left: Dominic Nahr—Magnum, Peter Hapak, Shaul Schwarz—Reportage by Getty Images, Dominic Nahr—Magnum (3), Kendrick Brinson—Luceo, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR, George Steinmetz, Richard Mosse, Joachim Ladefoged—VII, Dominic Nahr—Magnum, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR, Dominic Nahr—Magnum, Adam Ferguson—VII Network, Peter van Agtmael—Magnum, Dominic Nahr—Magnum, Shaul Schwarz—Reportage by Getty Images, Juliana Sohn, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR (2), Platon, Thomas Dworzak—Magnum, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR, Cedric Gerbehaye—Agence Vu, Christopher Morris—VII, Peter van Agtmael—Magnum, Christopher Morris—VII, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR (2), Dominic Nahr—Magnum, Christopher Morris—VII, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR, Gregg Segal, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR, Peter Hapak , Christopher Morris—VII, Yuri Kozyrev—NOOR, Peter van Agtmael—Magnum, Lucia Herrero
The winner will be awarded a $2,500 cash prize, a portfolio review by TIME's photo editors, and publication of their work on TIME's acclaimed photography blog, LightBox. Two runners-up will also be featured on LightBox. The winning students' work will be among inspiring new projects from around the globe which explore how photography, video and the culture of images define today's world.
All entries will be judged by the photo editors of TIME. The winner’s work should have a distinct photographic point of view, style and an overall grasp of technical photographic skills.
- Applicants must be:
- Currently enrolled students (high school, college, or graduate programs) at least 13 years of age at the time of entry.
- Recent graduates (the class of 2011 in high school, college, or graduate programs)
- Read full eligibility details here.
- Applicants must submit a 200-to-400-word overview of their work.
- Applicants must submit at least 10 but no more than 20 photographs that define their vision.
- Each image should be saved with caption, date, entrant's name, and e-mail address within the file's metadata. See sizing and saving instructions here.
- Images must be submitted as 1500-by-1000 pixel JPGs at 72 dpi. Each image should be no larger than 1 MB.